La Presby SHS: Students study in uncompleted buildings without boards

Several structures demarcated as kitchens for caterers under the school feeding programme are in a deplorable and unclean state in several schools in the  New Juaben Municipality of the Eastern Region.

Some of the caterers operating in those deplorable structures have had to battle with snakes and other reptiles that find their way into the makeshift kitchens.

Some parents have raised concerns about the state of the kitchens, which has forced some of them to withdraw their wards from the schools.

This was confirmed when Citi News visited some basic schools in the New Juaben Municipality to assess the state of the kitchens, which poses a threat to the life and health of beneficiaries of the school feeding programme.

At the first-year’s block, about nine classes were without marker boards, teachers therefore improvised, using verbal explanations.

Although school authorities declined to speak about the situation, some students who spoke to Citi News expressed their dissatisfaction and called on authorities to come to their aid.

“So as students when we came, we were expecting to see some blackboards, so that at least when there is no teacher we can try our best to learn… but when we came here, there are no desks, no blackboard, and we are just roaming about like we don’t have anything to do. We feel uncomfortable” one student said.

There were very few desks in good shape in use by students, and desks meant for one student was being shared by two students, Citi News‘ Anass Seidu observed.

One of the students commended the teachers for their efforts despite the difficulty.

He said “the teachers are putting up their best efforts to help us learn, but when it comes to the desk and the school structure, it’s very bad. When people come to the school they think it’s a village.”

The Headmaster of the school, Samuel Salamat, was last week accused of levying all new students GHs 80 threatening that those who refused to pay the money intended for the purchase of plastic chairs would be forced to stand in class.

la-presec-classroom-2

He was subsequently interdicted by the Ghana Education Service (GES) for charging illegal fees. He failed to turn up for a meeting with the government on the matter.

The GES Director-General, Professor Kwasi Opoku-Amankwa, said his outfit was still conducting investigations into the allegations against Mr Salamat.

Mr. Salamat in an earlier interview with Citi News clarified that the supposed GHs 80 levy was voluntary.

“We have only appealed to parents that we have challenges with furniture so if they can help us repair our furniture so that we can start classes as early as possible. They cannot bring furniture from the house. We are telling them to make voluntary contributions so that we can use that to repair the furniture. It is voluntary, any amount that you can get… It is not a fixed amount. We only gave them the information that last year, parents paid GH80 to guide them.”

“If the person is unable to pay, we will still admit them… [But] if the chairs are not there, what can we do? A lot of my furniture is broken down. I have not taken stock to find out the furniture that is available. A lot of my tables and chairs are broken down and I can foresee that we will need more,” he said.

credit: citinews

Publish on Apt

Do you have any Social, informational, educational or entertaining stuff that should be featured on www.aptnewsghana.com?

Please submit your stories, pictures, and videos to us via WhatsApp: +233548388489 or click on the icon on your screen. Alternatively, email us: aptnewsghana@gmail.com

RSS APO Group – Africa-Newsroom: latest news releases related to Africa

  • Coronavirus – Africa: African Union Member States reporting COVID-19 cases April 1, 2020
    African Union Member States (49) reporting COVID-19 cases (5,786), deaths (196), and recoveries (412) by region: Central (399 cases, 15 deaths, 13 recoveries): Burundi (2, 0, 0), Cameroon* (223, 6, 5), Central African Republic (6, 0, 3), Chad (7, 0, 0), Congo (19, 0, 2), DRC (109, 8, 3), Equatorial Guinea (15, 0, 0), Gabon […]
  • APO Group arming communicators with a full suite of digital solutions to help adapt during coronavirus pandemic April 1, 2020
    APO Group (www.APO-opa.com), the leading pan-African communications and business consultancy, remains fully operational and is supporting clients and media as the coronavirus pandemic spreads around the world. When a global crisis like the coronavirus hits, it is critical for businesses to keep communicating if they want to survive. But they also need to acknowledge that […]
  • Coronavirus – Mauritania: Holding the Line: Border Officials Mobilize Against COVID-19 with International Organization for Migration’s (IOM) Support April 1, 2020
    The daily trickle of travelers, livestock and goods that once boarded the ferry between Mauritania and Senegal through the Rosso border crossing will grow when it reopens, one of the few active points of entry (POEs) between the two countries.  “In normal circumstances we saw about 100 crossings a day, mainly Mauritanians and Senegalese joining their […]
  • Coronavirus – Congo: Congo’s Ex-President Yhombi-Opango Dies of COVID-19 April 1, 2020
    Download logoThe former President of the Republic of Congo, Jacques Joaquim Yhombi-Opango, has died in Paris from complications related to coronavirus. He was 81 years old. His family said he had been ill before contracting the virus. Mr. Yhombi-Opango led Congo-Brazzaville from 1977 until he was toppled in 1979 by the country's current leader, Denis […]
  • Coronavirus - Africa: Sierra Leone confirms first case of COVID-19 April 1, 2020
    The Ministry of Health and Sanitation of the Republic of Sierra Leone has reported the country’s first case of COVID-19. Samples tested at the Military 34 Hospital, and two other accredited laboratories to detect the virus, in the capital Freetown turned out positive on the evening of 30 March 2020. The patient, a 37-year-old Sierra […]
  • Coronavirus – South Africa: Premier David Makhura extends condolences to family of 79-year old male who lost his life due to Coronavirus COVID-19 April 1, 2020
    Download logoThe Gauteng Provincial government is deeply saddened by the passing of a 79-year-old male who has tested positive for COVID-19. This is the first death of COVID-19 in Gauteng. “I wish to convey our heartfelt condolences and express our collective grief to the family and friends of the deceased,” Premier said. The deceased was […]
  • Africa 24 Media launches Africa’s First Factual Story Telling Platform April 1, 2020
    [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcZfbri-Hks&w=854&h=480]Africa 24 Media announces the official launch of the continent’s first all factual video on demand platform. Yebo (www.Yebo.live/en/) aims to be the guide of Africa through stories. Making the announcement the company’s Founder and C.E.O, Asif Sheikh, said this is a huge milestone for Africa 24 Media and the continent at large. “For […]
  • Coronavirus – Uganda: 11 new COVID-19 cases confirmed April 1, 2020
    Download logo11 new COVID-19 cases confirmed, today. This brings the total of COVID-19 cases to 44 in #Uganda. The 11 new confirmed cases were all under institutional quarantine at the time of test. Stay home, Stay Safe. #STAYSAFEUGDistributed by APO Group on behalf of Ministry of Health - Republic of Uganda.
  • Coronavirus – Ethiopia: Notification Note on one additional COVID-19 Confirmed Case April 1, 2020
    Download logoEthiopian Public Health Institute conducted additional laboratory tests and one (1) additional COVID-19 case has been confirmed, making the total cases twenty six (26). The confirmed case is a 42 years old male Ethiopian who lives in Dire Dawa. He arrived from Australia to Addis Ababa on March 18/2020 before the mandatory quarantine is […]
  • Coronavirus – Eswatini: COVID-19 Update (31st March 2020) April 1, 2020
    Download logoThe Ministry of Health has received a total of 80 COVID-19 results, of which 65 were negative and 15 rejected because they did not meet case definition standards. The country remains with nine confirmed COVID-19 cases of which the index case has tested negative and has been discharged. The Ministry of Health wishes to […]