I don’t think I had good sex until the end of my 20s.
In my early 20s, I ranted and raved about how ~AMAZING~ my sex life was. I had a ton of it, I talked endlessly about it to my friends and I felt, like, so sexually liberated, baby.
In all fairness, I’m pretty sure I did truly think my sex life was amazing.
But what I realize now is, I didn’t even know what amazing sex was. I was confusing the high of turning someone else on for the high of amazing sex.
And while getting someone hot and bothered is definitely sexy, amazing sex is far more nuanced than simply turning your partner on.
There was a dramatic shift in my sex life when I reached the nether regions of my 20s, and I soon realized there were rules you needed to live by if you wanted to have an amazing sex life.
Maybe you’re like me, and you have a visceral reaction to the word “rules.” Perhaps it brings back memories of sitting in a steel chair after school in detention.
But, babes, the rules I’m about to bestow on you are not the kind of oppressive rules you had in high school or at your soul-crushing job.
I’m going to give you what my therapist calls a “reparative” experience with rules. These rules are positive rules that are going to make your sex life amazing — rules I learned the hard way. (I find everything out the hard way.)
1. Sex is never an obligation.
I know this sounds obvious, but do you know how much sexual obligation I felt when I was super young?
If the dinner was expensive, I felt obligated to fuck her. If she was super kind and liked me a lot, I felt obligated to fuck her.
I had sex out of guilt, I had sex to be “nice” and I had sex because it just seemed like something people did.
“I had sex out of guilt, to be ‘nice’ and because it just seemed like something people did.”
Anytime I felt obligated to have sex, it royally sucked. You just go through the motions. Your brain is somewhere, while your body is somewhere else. Everything is disconnected.
If you want to have amazing sex it should only come from the fact that you feel like having sex — that’s it.
2. Let go of being perfectly groomed all the time.
Some of the best sex I’ve ever had has been the most spontaneous sex I’ve ever had: being pulled into a bathroom stall by the girl I’m hooking up with on an impromptu night out or wildly going at it on the kitchen table in the middle of the day.
All of this sex was unplanned, so it had an added element of surprise — a layer of thrill and impulsivity.
But I was never prepared in these moments. And by prepared, I mean groomed.
I had not shaved my legs (or other body parts) that day. I wasn’t wearing my sexiest pair of underwear. My hair was a wreck, and I wasn’t wearing makeup or splashed with a hearty dose of perfume.
As I got older, I realized you have to let perfection go. If you say no to new experiences (sexual experiences especially) because you’re not “perfect,” you’re going to miss out on a lot of memorable adventures that make life worth living.
3. Masturbate as much as possible.
Every sexpert on the internet will feed the same jargon: “You can’t expect someone else to make you feel good until you make yourself feel good.”
I hate to say it, but those smug bitches with their smug master’s degrees in human sexuality are right.
The more you get it on with yourself, the better sexual communicator you’ll be, and mind-blowing sex is all about being able to fearlessly communicate.
Which leads me to my next rule…
Never be afraid to describe to your partner — in ultra-specific detail — what feels good.
“Never be afraid to describe to your partner — in ultra-specific detail — what feels good.”
Even the most sexually advanced people in the world aren’t going to know intrinsically what specific spot makes your body tick. (And when they do, they’re usually toxic people. I don’t know why the universe is just unfair like that.)
5. Fantasize, fantasize, fantasize.
When you give yourself time to fantasize, you’re giving your imagination some much-needed restorative playtime. The imagination discovers brilliant new things when it’s untethered and running wild.
“The imagination discovers brilliant new things when it’s untethered and running wild.”
And when you let yourself fantasize, you’ll tap into all the ~unexpected~ things that really get you off, girl.
6. Let go of any shame you feel surrounding sex.
It’s hard to be female and not be ashamed of your sexuality. We’re raised to feel like sex is something we only do to please others. And if we enjoy sex, we’re dirty sluts.
But you know what? Maybe we are dirty sluts, but who says being a dirty slut is a negative thing?
If being a dirty slut means I’m a woman who fantasizes freely, has incredible sex whenever she wants and doesn’t attach her self-worth to how many (or how few) people she’s slept with, then I’m happy and proud to be a dirty slut!
“I’m happy and proud to be a dirty slut.”
So let go of the shame, girl. The only reason society has pressured you into feeling ashamed for being sexual is because of how unbelievably powerful your sexuality is.
Just because society is afraid of your powerful sexual prowess, doesn’t mean you have to be. Own it. Rock it. Express it. Once you unleash the deeply sexual part of yourself, you become more powerful in every other part of your life.
And trust me, no one fucks with girls who own their sexuality.
I don’t think I had good sex until the end of my 20s.
Publish on Apt
Do you have any Social, informational, educational or entertaining stuff that should be featured on www.aptnewsghana.com?
Please submit your stories, pictures, and videos to us via WhatsApp: +233548388489 or click on the icon on your screen. Alternatively, email us: email@example.com
- Exclusive Pearl Lounge Opened at Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul November 13, 2019National Aviation Services (NAS) (http://www.NAS.aero), the fastest growing aviation services provider in the emerging markets, launched its new, exclusive Pearl Lounge at the Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul, Afghanistan. The 144 square meter departure lounge is the first of its kind in Afghanistan, catering to local and international travelers looking to unwind before a flight. […]
- Africa Investment Forum 2019: Unveiling the Boardroom: $67.6 billion dollars of deals tabled, $40.1 billion investor interest secured November 13, 2019Download logoIt was deals that brought participants to the 2019 Africa Investment Forum and they were not disappointed. The second Forum ended on a high note Wednesday, with 56 boardroom deals valued at $67.6 billion tabled - a 44% increase from last year. Fifty-two deals worth $40.1 billion secured investor interest compared with $37.8 billion […]
- Road freight in Sub-Saharan Africa goes digital with DHL’s Saloodo! November 13, 2019First international digital road freight platform to be launched in the continent; Provides shippers and carriers a one-stop platform for road freight connections for domestic shipments within South Africa and international movements to several neighbouring countries; Further expansion to connect shippers and carriers within Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) is planned for early 2020. Digital freight forwarder […]
- African Development Bank Group becomes a shareholder in Africa Finance Corporation November 13, 2019Download logoShareholding follows investment of $50 million in AFC’s equity by Bank Group; African Development Bank (https://www.AfDB.org) becomes second investment-grade Supranational Finance Institution to join and invest in AFC. Africa Finance Corporation (AFC), a leading infrastructure solutions provider in Africa, today announces that the African Development Bank Group, Africa’s highest investment-grade rated (AAA with stable […]
- Novartis announces new strategy to provide innovative medicines to more patients in sub-Saharan Africa November 13, 2019Download logoThe strategy is aligned with the Novartis Access Principles, which aim to systematically integrate access strategies in how the company researches, develops and delivers medicines globally; a newly formed sub-Saharan Africa unit will deploy innovative approaches to increase patient reach across the full income pyramid; Novartis (Novartis.com) is building on its established activities in malaria, […]
- Income and Wealth not the Driver for Prosperity in High-Growth Markets, Finds New Global Study November 13, 2019Three quarters of people with a below-average income for their country report feeling prosperous; Six in ten people across high-growth markets say access to financial services has helped improve their prosperity; Three quarters think their government has a responsibility to improve access to financial services. A landmark study into the relationship between financial services and […]
- 34th Universal Periodic Review: The Arab Republic of Egypt November 13, 2019Download logoAmbassador and Permanent Representative to the UK Mission to the UN in Geneva, Julian Braithwaite delivers statement on Egypt during the 34th Session of Universal Periodic Review (UPR), sharing recommendations to improve their human rights record. By Julian Braithwaite Thank you Mr President, and thank you Minister for your presence today, The United Kingdom […]
- Over 20,600 People Displaced by Floods in Bangui, Central African Republic, Hosted by Families November 13, 2019Download logoHeavy rains falling in Bangui, Central African Republic, since 21 October, continue to cause significant material damage and make more vulnerable a population already affected by repeated cycles of violence since 2013. Such heavy rains are unusual in November. In Bangui, the country’s capital, the International Organization for Migration (IOM)’s Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) estimates that 20,691 people, displaced by […]
- The state key preference as justice and security provider over non-state and informal actors new Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) /Cordaid study on Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Central African Republic (CAR) November 13, 2019In two days, on 14 November, the mandate of the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in the Central African Republic (MINUSCA) will be renewed, as will the mandate of the United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO), next month. Both operations aim to strengthen the role of the […]
- Ecobank signs up to The United Nations Environment Programme’s Finance Initiative (UNEP FI) Principles for Responsible Banking November 13, 2019Ecobank Transnational Incorporated ( ETI) (https://www.Ecobank.com/) is delighted to announce that it has become an official Signatory to the UN Principles for Responsible Banking: a single framework for a sustainable banking industry developed through an innovative partnership between banks worldwide and United Nations Environment Programme’s Finance Initiative. The six Principles for Responsible Banking1 align the banking […]