New TTH CEO: Health Ministry Admits Mistake…

The Ministry of Health has admitted it was a mistake not to have issued a formal written notice to disgruntled out-going CEO of the Tamale Teaching Hospital Dr Prosper Akambong to pave way for his successor to take over.

“In fact it’s a mistake on our part; we thought we had sent such a letter to him. In fact we wanted him to have a letter first before the incoming also goes to the facility with his appointment letter that did not work out”. Public Relations Officer at the Health Ministry Robert Cudjoe has said.

Explanation

“What is happening is this, a new person Dr David Zaawumya has been appointed as the new CEO to take over from Dr Prosper and a letter was issued to the incoming CEO copied to the out-going CEO. Unfortunately the first thing should’ve been a letter even before that of the in-coming to the out-going to be aware of the fact that he is being released of his position. But that letter did not get to him but unfortunately the in-coming one’s letter has been copied to him”; Mr. Robert Cudjoe told XYZ News’ Joe Bright Nyarko.

Dr Akambong had contested his removal in the media accusing the Health Ministry of not properly terminating his contract which sources say was left with some 16 months to elapse.  He had also indicated that he would only hand over after receiving an official letter from the Minister of Health indicating whether he had been reassigned or dismissed.

Mr Cudjoe further revealed that: “Because of this situation, he [Dr Akambong] said, no once he has not got any letter for himself, stating probably where he is going and few other things, he is not going”.

“We accept our mistake and apologize for that miss-communication”, he said and assured that latest by “Friday”, Dr Akambong would get his letter and hoped when he gets the letter the content, would be acceptable to him so he can hand over.

Clashes over Dr. Akolbila’s Appointment

While condemning the reported clashes between youth groups in the Northern regional NPP on June 12, 2017 over the appointment of the new CEO for the Tamale Teaching hospital, the PRO of the Health Ministry appealed to the youths to give Dr Akolbila the needed backing as a respect to the presidency.

Whereas one group, the Coalition of Dagbon Youth Groups in Tamale, was opposed to the appointment of Dr David Zaawumya Akolbila as the CEO, the Kandahar Boys were in support of his appointment.

Mr Cudjoe described the upheaval as unfortunate and should not have happened. He explained that “this is an appointment made by the President of the land…and at least per our constitution, we should give him all the necessary support”.

By: Joe Bright Nyarko

Publish on Apt

Do you have any Social, informational, educational or entertaining stuff that should be featured on www.aptnewsghana.com?

Please submit your stories, pictures, and videos to us via WhatsApp: +233548388489 or click on the icon on your screen. Alternatively, email us: aptnewsghana@gmail.com

RSS APO Group – Africa-Newsroom: latest news releases related to Africa

  • Coronavirus – Africa: African Union Member States reporting COVID-19 cases April 1, 2020
    African Union Member States (49) reporting COVID-19 cases (5,786), deaths (196), and recoveries (412) by region: Central (399 cases, 15 deaths, 13 recoveries): Burundi (2, 0, 0), Cameroon* (223, 6, 5), Central African Republic (6, 0, 3), Chad (7, 0, 0), Congo (19, 0, 2), DRC (109, 8, 3), Equatorial Guinea (15, 0, 0), Gabon […]
  • APO Group arming communicators with a full suite of digital solutions to help adapt during coronavirus pandemic April 1, 2020
    APO Group (www.APO-opa.com), the leading pan-African communications and business consultancy, remains fully operational and is supporting clients and media as the coronavirus pandemic spreads around the world. When a global crisis like the coronavirus hits, it is critical for businesses to keep communicating if they want to survive. But they also need to acknowledge that […]
  • Coronavirus – Mauritania: Holding the Line: Border Officials Mobilize Against COVID-19 with International Organization for Migration’s (IOM) Support April 1, 2020
    The daily trickle of travelers, livestock and goods that once boarded the ferry between Mauritania and Senegal through the Rosso border crossing will grow when it reopens, one of the few active points of entry (POEs) between the two countries.  “In normal circumstances we saw about 100 crossings a day, mainly Mauritanians and Senegalese joining their […]
  • Coronavirus – Congo: Congo’s Ex-President Yhombi-Opango Dies of COVID-19 April 1, 2020
    Download logoThe former President of the Republic of Congo, Jacques Joaquim Yhombi-Opango, has died in Paris from complications related to coronavirus. He was 81 years old. His family said he had been ill before contracting the virus. Mr. Yhombi-Opango led Congo-Brazzaville from 1977 until he was toppled in 1979 by the country's current leader, Denis […]
  • Coronavirus - Africa: Sierra Leone confirms first case of COVID-19 April 1, 2020
    The Ministry of Health and Sanitation of the Republic of Sierra Leone has reported the country’s first case of COVID-19. Samples tested at the Military 34 Hospital, and two other accredited laboratories to detect the virus, in the capital Freetown turned out positive on the evening of 30 March 2020. The patient, a 37-year-old Sierra […]
  • Coronavirus – South Africa: Premier David Makhura extends condolences to family of 79-year old male who lost his life due to Coronavirus COVID-19 April 1, 2020
    Download logoThe Gauteng Provincial government is deeply saddened by the passing of a 79-year-old male who has tested positive for COVID-19. This is the first death of COVID-19 in Gauteng. “I wish to convey our heartfelt condolences and express our collective grief to the family and friends of the deceased,” Premier said. The deceased was […]
  • Africa 24 Media launches Africa’s First Factual Story Telling Platform April 1, 2020
    [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcZfbri-Hks&w=854&h=480]Africa 24 Media announces the official launch of the continent’s first all factual video on demand platform. Yebo (www.Yebo.live/en/) aims to be the guide of Africa through stories. Making the announcement the company’s Founder and C.E.O, Asif Sheikh, said this is a huge milestone for Africa 24 Media and the continent at large. “For […]
  • Coronavirus – Uganda: 11 new COVID-19 cases confirmed April 1, 2020
    Download logo11 new COVID-19 cases confirmed, today. This brings the total of COVID-19 cases to 44 in #Uganda. The 11 new confirmed cases were all under institutional quarantine at the time of test. Stay home, Stay Safe. #STAYSAFEUGDistributed by APO Group on behalf of Ministry of Health - Republic of Uganda.
  • Coronavirus – Ethiopia: Notification Note on one additional COVID-19 Confirmed Case April 1, 2020
    Download logoEthiopian Public Health Institute conducted additional laboratory tests and one (1) additional COVID-19 case has been confirmed, making the total cases twenty six (26). The confirmed case is a 42 years old male Ethiopian who lives in Dire Dawa. He arrived from Australia to Addis Ababa on March 18/2020 before the mandatory quarantine is […]
  • Coronavirus – Eswatini: COVID-19 Update (31st March 2020) April 1, 2020
    Download logoThe Ministry of Health has received a total of 80 COVID-19 results, of which 65 were negative and 15 rejected because they did not meet case definition standards. The country remains with nine confirmed COVID-19 cases of which the index case has tested negative and has been discharged. The Ministry of Health wishes to […]