DR Congo election: Presidential poll hit by delays

Sunday’s vote for a new president in the Democratic Republic of Congo has been hit by a series of delays that have left people frustrated.

The failure of new electronic voting machines in some polling stations was one of the challenges.

Polls have now closed in an election that is expected to bring the country’s first peaceful transfer of power since independence in 1960.

President Joseph Kabila is stepping down after 17 years in power.

The final result is expected be announced in a week’s time.

The election should have taken place two years ago but was repeatedly postponed because of logistical problems, officials said.

The run-up to the poll had been hit by violence and controversy over the decision to exclude some 1.26 million out of an electorate of nearly 40 million from voting.

Polls opened at 05:00 (04:00 GMT) and officially closed at 17:00, but people still in the queue at that time have been allowed to vote.

How did the day go?

Things started slowly in the capital, Kinshasa, because of heavy rain, reports the BBC’s Louise Dewast.

There have been delays in a number of areas because of problems with the electronic voting machines, which are being used for the first time.

There was frustration in Limete, a district of Kinshasa, as the electoral register had not been delivered and people were unable to vote.

Those waiting then booed the head of the electoral commission (Ceni), Corneille Nangaa, who had come to the scene.

In Goma, in the east, voting was continuing 90 minutes after the polls had officially closed.

This was partly because they had opened late and people were taking longer to vote than expected.

There were also isolated incidents of violence caused by problems with the way the vote was being managed, our correspondent says.

A police officer and a civilian were killed in Walungu, South Kivu province, in an altercation at a polling station, a UN official told the BBC.

Calm despite delays

The heavy morning rain inundated many of the capital’s dirt roads and meant things started slowly.

There were also problems with the electronic voting machines and the failure to display the electoral register.

Despite the chaotic electoral process, things were generally calm and voters seemed glad that this historic day had finally come.

The next hurdle will be the compilation of results. This crucial step has proved problematic in previous elections and led EU and US observers to conclude that they had not been credible.

Who’s running for president?

Composite of three candidates (L-R): Martin Fayulu, Emmanuel Shadary and Felix Tshisekedi

Opposition candidates Martin Fayulu (L) and Felix Tshisekedi (R) face Emmanuel Shadary (C), the former interior minister

There are 21 candidates, but three frontrunners:

  • Emmanuel Ramazani Shadary, a former interior minister and Kabila loyalist, who was hit by European Union sanctions for his role in the violent suppression of opposition protests in 2017
  • Martin Fayulu, a former oil executive who has promised “a dignified and prosperous Congo”, but who poor Congolese feel may not advance their cause
  • Felix Tshisekedi Tshilombo, the son of a late veteran opposition leader who has promised to make the fight against poverty his priority

Regional observers will be keeping a close eye on voting, but European and US observers, who had concluded previous elections in the country had lacked credibility, have not been invited.

What did the voters say?

Fidele Imani voted in Kinshasa and told the BBC: “We have been waiting for two years and I’m happy to vote today. We want change here, we need peace and security and people need more employment opportunities.”

A voter in the city told the BBC: “We come to vote. I don’t know if my voice will count or not. I really don’t know, but I will always come and vote.”

Francois Balumwege, also voted in the capital: “I feel liberated I am happy, I completed my civic duty, I have just voted in an election which is, for us today, very historic. Because it will allow the Congolese to see one president hand over power to another president.”

‘Citizen votes’

This week, voting in three districts was postponed until March, with the electoral commission blaming insecurity and an Ebola virus outbreak.

About 1.26 million people were not able to vote on Sunday as a result.

The decision in effect cancelled their votes, as the new president is due to be sworn in by mid-January regardless.

But some activists in places where polling has been cancelled have organised their own election, dubbed “citizen votes”, the BBC’s Gaius Kowene reports from the main eastern city of Goma.

They are using ballot boxes from the 2011 elections and printed their own voting papers.

“We want to show the Ceni that if they fail to organise elections here because of Ebola, we can do it,” organiser Katembo Malikidogo told the BBC.

What’s the context for these elections?

The current president took over from his assassinated father Laurent in 2001, but he was barred from running for another consecutive term under the constitution.

He was supposed to step down two years ago, but the election was postponed after the electoral commission said it needed more time to register voters.

Joseph Kabila voting
Joseph Kabila

The decision triggered violent clashes, as the opposition accused Mr Kabila of trying to cling on to power.

Then last week, the election was delayed again, for seven days, because of problems deploying voting materials to polling sites.

This all came after thousands of electronic voting machines – being used for the first time – were destroyed in a fire in Kinshasa.

Speaking at a polling station, the president tried to address concerns about the voting, saying: “It’s clear that the elections are free and fair.”

credit: bbc.com

Publish on Apt

Do you have any Social, informational, educational or entertaining stuff that should be featured on www.aptnewsghana.com?

Please submit your stories, pictures, and videos to us via WhatsApp: +233548388489 or click on the icon on your screen. Alternatively, email us: aptnewsghana@gmail.com

RSS APO Group – Africa-Newsroom: latest news releases related to Africa

  • Coronavirus - Rwanda: Update on COVID-19 Coronavirus — 27 March 2020 March 27, 2020
    Download logoFour (4) new coronavirus cases were identified today, bringing the total to fifty-four (54). • One (1) traveller who arrived from Dubai and who has been isolated • One (1) traveller who arrived from USA and who has been isolated • Two (2) contacts of previously confirmed positive travellers who were detected through tracing and isolated […]
  • Coronavirus - Uganda: 5 new cases of COVID-19 confirmed bringing the total to 23 cases in Uganda March 27, 2020
    Download logo5 new cases of COVID-19 confirmed bringing the total to 23 cases in Uganda. Out of 227 samples run today at the Uganda Virus Research Institute, 222 samples tested negative for COVID-19. Details will follow in a press release to be issued in the morning.Distributed by APO Group on behalf of Ministry of Health […]
  • Coronavirus - Nigeria: Federal Government Releases 10 Billion Naira Grant to Lagos State March 27, 2020
    Download logoThe Federal Government has released 10billion Naira grant to Lagos State to increase its capacity to respond to the COVID19 outbreak.  This was made known by the Honorable Minister of Health,  Dr Osagie Ehanire, in a press briefing held at the Ministry's Headquarters today, 27th March 2020. The Minister said, the sum of 5 billion Naira special […]
  • Declaration by the High Representative Joseph Borrell, on behalf of the European Union, on the situation in Libya March 27, 2020
    Download logoThe European Union and its Member States regret that the fighting has increased in Libya despite the international calls for a humanitarian truce to help contain the Coronavirus pandemic in the country. The challenging circumstances created by the Coronavirus pandemic make the need to halt the fighting in Tripoli and across the country even more urgent. We strongly condemn any attack against civilian population. We […]
  • Coronavirus – South Africa: Gauteng Health Department Embarks on a Massive Recruitment Drive to Fight Against COVID-19 March 27, 2020
    Download logoThe Gauteng Department of Health (GDoH) has embarked on a massive recruitment drive to ensure that there is enough capacity in the province to deal with the anticipated rise in the number of people testing positive for COVID-19. People in the following fields; medical officers, nursing, operational managers, pharmacy, physiotherapy, radiography, speech and audiology […]
  • Coronavirus - Nigeria: COVID-19 Update (27th March 2020) March 27, 2020
    As at 8:00 pm 27th March, there are 70 confirmed cases, 3 discharged, 1 death. Currently; Lagos- 44 FCT- 14 Ogun- 3 Ekiti- 1 Oyo- 3 Edo- 1 Bauchi- 2 Osun-1 Rivers-1Distributed by APO Group on behalf of World Health Organization (WHO) - Nigeria.Media filesDownload logo
  • Coronavirus - Eswatini: Prime Minister’s Statement March 27, 2020
    Download logoToday the Kingdom of Eswatini joined the rest of the world and more than 2.5 billion people globally to observe a partial lockdown and, for others, a full lockdown - to combat a common enemy, the coronavirus. This is unchartered territory for the Kingdom and the world, a time when our resolve and collective […]
  • Coronavirus - Rwanda: Update on COVID-19 Coronavirus March 27, 2020
    Download logoFour (4) new coronavirus cases were identified today, bringing the total to fifty-four (54). • One (1) traveller who arrived from Dubai and who has been isolated • One (1) traveller who arrived from USA and who has been isolated • Two (2) contacts of previously confirmed positive travellers who were detected through tracing […]
  • Coronavirus - Kenya: Mass Testing for Coronavirus March 27, 2020
    Download logoStarting Sunday March 29th, Ministry of Health, Kenya will embark on mass testing of over 2000 persons, who arrived in the country since March 22, 2020, and are currently under mandatory quarantine in various designated hotels and government facilities".  Distributed by APO Group on behalf of Ministry of Health, Kenya.
  • Coronavirus - Seychelles: Press Update (27th March 2020) March 27, 2020
    Download logoAs of the last update sent on Wednesday 25th March 2020: There are 7 positive cases of COVID-19 receiving treatment at the Isolation Centre at the Family Hospital. All patients remain stable, except one who is in critical but stable condition. All patients that were undergoing investigations at isolation centre have tested negative. There […]
About Editor 588 Articles
Joe Bright Nyarko Journalist/Communication Researcher. Environment & Sustainability Advocate. Managing Editor of aptnewsghana.com, a non-profit news portal with bias towards environment and sustainability issues, rural development policies and gender & inequality.