President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, has stressed that the laws of Ghana indicate that citizens and not foreigners are the only ones allowed to engage in small scale mining.
President Akufo-Addo has, therefore, urged Ghanaians not to act as front-men for foreigners in activities solely reserved for Ghanaians, adding that “let us abide by our laws.”
To this end, President has outlined his government’s proposal to strengthening the small scale mining industry through the Multilateral Integrated Mining Project (MMIP).
The MMIP, according to President Akufo-Addo, will be the first holistic approach in combating illegal mining in Ghana, reduce illegal small scale mining (galamsey) to the barest minimum and find alternative livelihoods for those involved.
President Akufo-Addo made this known on Tuesday, on day 2 of his 3-day tour of the Western Region, when he interacted with the Chiefs and people of Tarkwa.
With Tarkwa being a predominantly mining town, President Akufo-Addo urged residents to ignore the propaganda making the rounds that he intends abolishing mining, stressing that the only form of mining he is against is illegal mining, also known as galamsey.
With the christening of Ghana’s first modern city as Elmina, to wit ‘The Mine’ by the Portuguese, President Akufo-Addo stated that as far back as the 15th century, there was the recognition that mining was important for the country’s economy.
“Mining is part of our heritage. It is not under an Akufo-Addo government that mining is going to be abolished. I can never abolish mining. Those saying I am trying to abolish mining are just doing propaganda. Mining is an integral part of our country’s heritage,” he said.
What his government cannot have happen, however, is for illegal mining to compromise the country’s environment.
“Our lands, water bodies and forests are also part of our heritage. I swore an oath before the Almighty and before Ghanaians to govern in accordance with the rule of law, and also to protect the territorial integrity of our nation. I am mandated by the laws of the land to protect our lands and water bodies,” he said.
The President continued, “Mining in Ghana, from the times of our ancestors, have been undertaken without it destroying our water bodies and lands. The Birim, Densu, rivers we used to drink from as children, have now been polluted as a result of galamsey. I, as President of the Republic, will not watch unconcerned whilst a few people destroy our lands and water bodies”.
President Akufo-Addo announced that his government has received a number of proposals for the establishment of a gold refinery at Tarkwa, adding that “if I was against mining, I would not be putting such measures in place.”
President Akufo-Addo also assured residents of Tarkwa about government’s determination to revive the Bonsa Tyre Factory and the Aboso Glass Factory, so as to create jobs and wealth for the people.
Publish on Apt
Do you have any Social, informational, educational or entertaining stuff that should be featured on www.aptnewsghana.com?
Please submit your stories, pictures, and videos to us via WhatsApp: +233548388489 or click on the icon on your screen. Alternatively, email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pulse & Sportal Media Group launch Pan-African technology collaboration on sports content August 6, 2020Download logoThe integration of Sportal365 on Pulse (https://Pulse.Africa/) will provide sports fans with interactive content tools like results and statistics - and make it possible for advertisers to better engage with the users. Stilian Shishkov, Founder and CEO of Sportal commented on the launch: “Africa is a very important milestone for us and a great opportunity […]
- WHO Africa Online Press Briefing on COVID19 August 6, 2020[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djLSwe5mIZ8&w=854&h=480]Watch the video: https://www.youtube.com/embed/djLSwe5mIZ8Distributed by APO Group on behalf of WHO Regional Office for Africa.Media filesDownload logo
- Eutelsat 8 West B selected by Strong Roots for new DTH platform in Ethiopia and the Middle East August 6, 2020Download logoMulti-year contract leveraging Eutelsat 8 West B’s dedicated coverage of Ethiopia; Confirming the dynamism of the Ethiopian broadcast landscape. Eutelsat Communications (Euronext Paris: ETL) (www.Eutelsat.com) and Strong Roots Ethiopia Broadcasting Service PLC have concluded a Master Service Agreement for a Ku capacity on a 36 MHz transponder on Eutelsat’s EUTELSAT 8 West B satellite. […]
- Coronavirus - Zambia: Daily COVID-19 update 5th August 2020 August 5, 2020in the last 24hrs, Zambia recorded 229 new confirmed cases out of 1,112 tests. Three new deaths were recorded, 2 from Lusaka (both facility deaths) and 1 community death from Itezhi-tezhi (MTSRIP). Cumulative cases: 7022 Total recoveries: 5667 COVID-19 deaths: 59 COVID-19 associated deaths: 116 Active cases: 1179Distributed by APO Group on behalf of Ministry […]
- Coronavirus - Gambia: Daily Case Update as of 4th August 2020 August 5, 2020Active cases: 662 New cases: 128 New tests: 324 Total confirmed: 799 Recovered: 115 Deaths: 16Distributed by APO Group on behalf of Ministry of Health, The Gambia.Media filesDownload logo
- Coronavirus - Kenya: COVID-19 Update (5th August 2020) August 5, 2020Download logoCS Mutahi Confirms; 6,200 samples tested in the past 24 hours 671 new positive cases 329,123 samples tested so far Total confirmed cases stand at 23,873 603 r ecoveries today Discharge & recoveries stands at 9,930 3 fatalities today Total fatalities 391Distributed by APO Group on behalf of Ministry of Health, Kenya.
- Coronavirus - Ethiopia: COVID-19 reported cases in Ethiopia (5th August 2020) August 5, 2020Daily Laboratory test: 7319 Severe cases: 185 New recovered: 358 New deaths: 13 New cases: 459 Total Laboratory test: 459,746 Active cases: 11,380 Total recovered: 8598 Total deaths: 356 Total cases: 20,336Distributed by APO Group on behalf of Ministry of Health, Ethiopia.Media filesDownload logo
- COVID-19 Situation Report for Nigeria (4 August 2020) August 5, 2020The COVID19Nigeria situation report for 4th August, 2020 has been published. Download: https://bit.ly/33vBjnm Our daily reports provide a summary of the epidemiological situation & response activities in Nigeria. Today's report includes a breakdown of testing done by states. Distributed by APO Group on behalf of Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).Media filesDownload logo
- Coronavirus - Eswatini: Minister of Health Lizzie Nkosi announces four new COVID-19 deaths in Eswatini August 5, 2020Download logoMinister of Health Lizzie Nkosi announces four new COVID-19 deaths in Eswatini, taking the total number of COVID19 deaths to 53. "May their souls rest in peace." New cases: 53 Total cases: 2909 New recoveries: 127 Total recoveries: 1385 New deaths: 4 Total deaths: 53 Distributed by APO Group on behalf of Government […]
- Coronavirus - Africa: The European Investment Bank (EIB) and Afreximbank direct EUR 300m of support to African COVID response August 5, 2020Download logoAccelerated EIB financing under Team Europe initiative; Over 25% of funds dedicated to women in business and climate action; Pan-African rapid response to alleviate COVID-19 impact and support climate action; Scheme to support trade and ensure medical supplies continue. The European Investment Bank (EIB), the lending arm of the European Union, and the African […]