Free SHS ‘most important social intervention’ – Organised Labour commends

The Trades Union Congress (TUC) has commended President Nana Akufo-Addo for implementing the Free SHS policy and has promised to support the landmark education policy.

“This is the most important social intervention programme that has been implemented in our country since independence. We believe it is the most equitable way to distribute the country’s resources to all Ghanaians regardless of their socio-economic background,” the TUC said in a statement.

The statement, signed by Secretary General, Yaw Baah, said the TUC expects the government to address other education-related issues and to ensure that quality of education under the free SHS policy improves.

More than eight years after it was touted by the New Patriotic Party as a major policy decision that could propel the country’s development, the free Senior High School programme kick-started last week Monday.

About 400,000 students are expected to benefit from the education policy that will exempt them from paying for tuition and other fees.

Read the full statement from the TUC on the education policy below.

The Implementation of the Free Senior High School Education

On Tuesday, 13th September, 2017, the President of the Republic, Nana Addo DankwaAkufo-Addo, officially launched the Free Senior High School Programme.

Information from the Ghana Education Service (GES) indicates that more than 400,000 BECE candidates have successfully been placed into various Senior High Schools (SHS) across the country. According to the Ministries of Education and Finance, half of the amount needed to fund the Free SHS programme for the current academic year has been released to the schools with assurance that the remainder would be disbursed by mid-term.

The TUC would like to commend the President and his government for keeping one of NPP’s campaign promises. We are particularly impressed with the careful planning and rigour with which the various government ministries and agencies have gone about the implementation of the programme.

We would like to assure the government of our support for the Free SHS programme. This is the most important social intervention programme that has been implemented in our country since independence. We believe it is the most equitable way to distribute the country’s resources to all Ghanaians regardless of their socio-economic background. We agree fully with President Nana Akufo-Addo’s statement that “the cost of providing free secondary school education would be cheaper than the alternative of an uneducated and unskilled workforce…”

Data from Ghana Statistical Service (GSS) show that only 15 percent of all Ghanaians who are 15 years or older had attained secondary education or higher. The statistics further indicate that 19.5 percent of Ghanaians have never attended school; 44.6 percent did not complete MSLC/BECE, and only 20.9 percent completed MSLC/BECE. After 60 years of independence, these statistics are not only shameful, but they are also a barrier to sustainable and inclusive development.

We expect the Free SHS programme to dramatically improve access to education in all parts of the country. But we should not end there. The government should address all other related issues and to ensure that quality of education improves.

The Free SHS programme provides immense opportunities for young people. The programme will increase the pool of educated young Ghanaians in the labour market. It will also increase the number of students seeking a university education. Harnessing these opportunities will depend on the preparations we make today. The challenges with job creation need to be addressed to ensure that Free SHS does not produce a pool of educated and frustrated young people. That will be costly for the country. The only way the cost of Free SHS will pay for itself will be to put beneficiary Ghanaians to productive work. Additionally, the government should begin to think of expanding infrastructure at the country’s universities to ensure that the universities can absorb a large number of SSS graduates in the next few years.

Dr Yaw Baah

Secretary General

Trades Union Congress (Ghana)

18th September 2017

Credit:myjoyonline

Publish on Apt

Do you have any Social, informational, educational or entertaining stuff that should be featured on www.aptnewsghana.com?

Please submit your stories, pictures, and videos to us via WhatsApp: +233548388489 or click on the icon on your screen. Alternatively, email us: aptnewsghana@gmail.com

RSS APO Group – Africa-Newsroom: latest news releases related to Africa

  • Coronavirus – Africa: African Union Member States reporting COVID-19 cases April 1, 2020
    African Union Member States (49) reporting COVID-19 cases (5,786), deaths (196), and recoveries (412) by region: Central (399 cases, 15 deaths, 13 recoveries): Burundi (2, 0, 0), Cameroon* (223, 6, 5), Central African Republic (6, 0, 3), Chad (7, 0, 0), Congo (19, 0, 2), DRC (109, 8, 3), Equatorial Guinea (15, 0, 0), Gabon […]
  • APO Group arming communicators with a full suite of digital solutions to help adapt during coronavirus pandemic April 1, 2020
    APO Group (www.APO-opa.com), the leading pan-African communications and business consultancy, remains fully operational and is supporting clients and media as the coronavirus pandemic spreads around the world. When a global crisis like the coronavirus hits, it is critical for businesses to keep communicating if they want to survive. But they also need to acknowledge that […]
  • Coronavirus – Mauritania: Holding the Line: Border Officials Mobilize Against COVID-19 with International Organization for Migration’s (IOM) Support April 1, 2020
    The daily trickle of travelers, livestock and goods that once boarded the ferry between Mauritania and Senegal through the Rosso border crossing will grow when it reopens, one of the few active points of entry (POEs) between the two countries.  “In normal circumstances we saw about 100 crossings a day, mainly Mauritanians and Senegalese joining their […]
  • Coronavirus – Congo: Congo’s Ex-President Yhombi-Opango Dies of COVID-19 April 1, 2020
    Download logoThe former President of the Republic of Congo, Jacques Joaquim Yhombi-Opango, has died in Paris from complications related to coronavirus. He was 81 years old. His family said he had been ill before contracting the virus. Mr. Yhombi-Opango led Congo-Brazzaville from 1977 until he was toppled in 1979 by the country's current leader, Denis […]
  • Coronavirus - Africa: Sierra Leone confirms first case of COVID-19 April 1, 2020
    The Ministry of Health and Sanitation of the Republic of Sierra Leone has reported the country’s first case of COVID-19. Samples tested at the Military 34 Hospital, and two other accredited laboratories to detect the virus, in the capital Freetown turned out positive on the evening of 30 March 2020. The patient, a 37-year-old Sierra […]
  • Coronavirus – South Africa: Premier David Makhura extends condolences to family of 79-year old male who lost his life due to Coronavirus COVID-19 April 1, 2020
    Download logoThe Gauteng Provincial government is deeply saddened by the passing of a 79-year-old male who has tested positive for COVID-19. This is the first death of COVID-19 in Gauteng. “I wish to convey our heartfelt condolences and express our collective grief to the family and friends of the deceased,” Premier said. The deceased was […]
  • Africa 24 Media launches Africa’s First Factual Story Telling Platform April 1, 2020
    [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcZfbri-Hks&w=854&h=480]Africa 24 Media announces the official launch of the continent’s first all factual video on demand platform. Yebo (www.Yebo.live/en/) aims to be the guide of Africa through stories. Making the announcement the company’s Founder and C.E.O, Asif Sheikh, said this is a huge milestone for Africa 24 Media and the continent at large. “For […]
  • Coronavirus – Uganda: 11 new COVID-19 cases confirmed April 1, 2020
    Download logo11 new COVID-19 cases confirmed, today. This brings the total of COVID-19 cases to 44 in #Uganda. The 11 new confirmed cases were all under institutional quarantine at the time of test. Stay home, Stay Safe. #STAYSAFEUGDistributed by APO Group on behalf of Ministry of Health - Republic of Uganda.
  • Coronavirus – Ethiopia: Notification Note on one additional COVID-19 Confirmed Case April 1, 2020
    Download logoEthiopian Public Health Institute conducted additional laboratory tests and one (1) additional COVID-19 case has been confirmed, making the total cases twenty six (26). The confirmed case is a 42 years old male Ethiopian who lives in Dire Dawa. He arrived from Australia to Addis Ababa on March 18/2020 before the mandatory quarantine is […]
  • Coronavirus – Eswatini: COVID-19 Update (31st March 2020) April 1, 2020
    Download logoThe Ministry of Health has received a total of 80 COVID-19 results, of which 65 were negative and 15 rejected because they did not meet case definition standards. The country remains with nine confirmed COVID-19 cases of which the index case has tested negative and has been discharged. The Ministry of Health wishes to […]